Rideshare made easy.
AlternaBus is a free, flexible platform that connects drivers and riders.
- Save time. Get in the HOV lane and get there faster.
- Save money. Drivers set a price per ride, riders save on travel expenses.
- Save the planet. Fewer cars on the road is better for everyone.
Drivers: Enter Your Daily Commuteshare your commute to accept passengersLogin to Share Your Commute
Search For A Rideview schedule to see details
Your Driver Scheduleconfirm reservations, adjust specific trip times, or cancel trips
Account Settingsdeposit or withdraw funds
Frequently Asked Questionsit's ok to be a little confused; we'll get you going in the right direction.
We are a ride-sharing service that matches drivers and passengers with similar daily commutes. We want to make ride-sharing a viable alternative to soloing and a peer to public transit.
It's good for the environment and good for your pocketbook. Alternabus will handle the scheduling, reservations, confirmations, ticketing and payments. As a driver, you just follow your normal commute, with no additional starts or stops. As a rider, you view the schedule in advance and reserve rides on any day and time you prefer.
Facebook provides a safe, secure means for users to learn about one another before ride-sharing. We don't post to your wall. The only Facebook data we provide to other users is information available from your public profile.
There is no substitute for using caution when communicating with any stranger who you might meet in person. We require users to provide their public Facebook profile when registering. We provide secure in-app messaging to contact other users without using your email address. We have a rating and feedback system for each user.
You should make use of these tools and take other appropriate precautions as well. For example, before ride-sharing, you may wish to first communicate by phone, meet in a public place or bring a friend or coworker along until you feel comfortable. We allow anyone with a Facebook account to post ride-share requests, but we are only a matching service so we do not screen either drivers or passengers.
Drivers can set any ticket price, including free. Alternabus pre-populates a suggested ticket price using the IRS standard mileage rate which is "based on an annual study of the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile." However, drivers are able to change this price. Please see the Alternabus Terms of Service for more details on driver and rider responsibilities.
There is no charge for free trips. For trips where the driver sets a ticket price, 12% goes to Alternabus, the remaining 88% goes to the driver.
You can request payment in Settings. You can either provide direct deposit information and we will push the funds into your bank account electronically or you can request that we mail you a check.
One week after a ride, funds for that ride are credited to a driver and become available for withdrawal. Funds held in a driver's account that have not yet cleared are called Pending Receivables.
There is no fee to withdraw any funds you have earned as a driver. If you deposit funds via credit card and then request a withdrawal of unused deposited funds, we reserve the right to charge up to a 5% fee ($0.25 minimum) to cover our credit card merchant fees and other processing costs.
Refunds are handled directly by drivers and riders under the Driver Schedule and Rider Schedule respectively. Both drivers and riders can cancel rides and process refunds up to 24 hours after a ride has occurred. Beyond 24 hours, the system locks fund transfers and it is no longer possible for drivers or riders to initiate refunds.
There is no restriction in place to prevent a rider from processing a refund after receiving a ride if the request is within the 24 hour window. However Alternabus provides an in-app rating system for both drivers and passengers to help track user behavior, both positive and negative.